Senior Energy Consultant (UK)
We’re excited to be hiring a Senior Consultant to advise clients on battery storage projects and the wider energy flexibility sector.
Everoze is at the heart of grid-connected battery storage. We recognise that this industry is so new and fast-growing and that we may miss some fantastic candidates if we only seek those with existing knowledge in the storage sector. Therefore we are looking for someone who has strong consultancy skills plus wider energy sector experience, which they now want to apply to energy storage.
Package: A competitive salary plus pension scheme, annual profit share and route into company ownership
Deadline for applications: 10th January 2024
Location: Preference for Bristol or Glasgow, but the role includes flexibility for remote working, particularly for experienced candidates
Hours: Normal office hours with a healthy level of flexibility. Preference for 5 days per week but will consider candidates who would prefer part-time with a minimum of 3 days equivalent per week (possibility of doing 5 short days for example)
What you will be doing
You will be advising developers, owners, investors and lenders on utility-scale battery storage, through technical and commercial consultancy services. Specific activities will include:
- Due diligence – Examining multiple aspects of utility-scale battery storage projects (in isolation or combined with renewable generation) covering the technology, design, project agreements, contracts, financial model etc. The purpose of your review will be to check that the projects are coherent and to identify techno-commercial risks. Your review work feeds into the acquisition and financing of projects, portfolios or companies and you will be in direct communication with the project developer and the financial institutions involved;
- Project support – Supporting project owners in the process of specifying and procuring battery systems and with technical support through detailed design, construction and commissioning. During project procurement our support might include work such as advising on the procurement strategy, running the procurement process and supporting contract negotiation from a techno-commercial perspective. After equipment procurement we often get involved in helping to solve technical problems and issues, particularly as the project approaches commissioning;
- Site visits – Visiting sites to witness on-site testing, check the quality of builds and liaising with the owner, operator and contractors to follow progress and identify design or construction issues;
- New markets – Helping Everoze to enter into new storage markets across Europe – particularly in Italy and Spain;
- Winning work – Building client relationships and expanding our business;
- Taking the lead – On the above types of projects, taking on a Project Manager or Project Director role on large and complex projects; and
- Identifying and pursuing strategic opportunities to expand Everoze’s storage services.
Our main market for storage is the UK but we are also building up our core team in Europe. Note that we have a parallel opening for a senior consultant to focus on the French, Spanish and Italian markets. If this is more suited to you, please use this link.
What We offer
Lots of companies like to say they are different, but we are genuinely a shift away from the standard model, all the way from our founding principles and what drives us, to our structure and day to working practices. Everyone at Everoze is a partner in Everoze, with all staff taking dividend-bearing shares after a couple of years. We encourage everyone to pick their own career paths and pursue their strengths and interests.
We are owned by the employees and offer a route into ownership for all staff;
Everoze is its people: Whilst very profitable, we are not solely motivated by the bottom line and we care deeply about our culture and people, which, as a consultancy, make up virtually all of what Everoze is. Whilst we do not grow for growth’s sake, we nevertheless have grown quite rapidly, mostly out of enthusiasm for what we do. We set up shop with 6 partners in September 2015. Now we’re 85 strong and counting, based across the UK, France, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Ireland, Singapore and Australia;
The flattest of flat organisations: Let’s be upfront: if you thrive on hierarchy and structure, Everoze isn’t the company for you. But if you are looking for a work environment where the strength of your ideas are valued as much as your years of experience, then welcome home. You’ll be given the freedom and autonomy to shape your own career; it’s not for everyone, and with freedom comes responsibility – but we sure enjoy the buzz of owning our own careers;
Real impact: We work with some of the biggest names in the energy sector and help them shape their renewable projects and acquisitions. We are regularly asked to share our thought leadership at the sector’s top conferences. You could be at the heart of this: conducting analysis which informs major investment and policy decisions
Fostering entrepreneurship: If you have a good idea for a new business area, we empower you to follow it. OK, lots of companies say that, right? Well, many of our staff are actively involved in new ventures which have led to creating new companies or lines of work. We’re serious about this and we have systems for selecting new opportunities and a budget for investing in them;
No utilisation targets: Yes that’s right! We don’t report on, or check staff utilisation to assess team or individual performance. We operate on trust within the team. We find that happy and motivated people are able to find the right balance between commercial work, business development and administration;
A flexible approach: We believe that a strong and healthy work life needs a strong a healthy home life. We encourage flexible working practices for all to be there for the kids swim lessons, a favourite hobby or learning new skills. Many of our partners work part time or adopt other flexible ways of working to achieve this balance within our self-managed structure.
We would like to hear from you if you meet the following requirements
We are looking for someone who wants to further their career in energy storage and is motivated to work collaboratively within a dynamic and friendly company which is creating positive impact.
- You share our core values of entrepreneurship, partnership and quality;
- You are already, or you are motivated to become, recognised as a senior energy consultant with a reputation for delivering high quality work, adding value to clients and possessing a solid understanding of complex technical and commercial interactions on energy projects;
- You want to use your skills to deliver a net-zero carbon energy system for the future;
- You are excited to work in an open, non-hierarchical environment;
- You are self-motivated and will take advantage of the autonomy to shape your own career.
Essential skills and qualifications
- A strong technical degree from a leading university;
- Significant technical experience in the electricity generation, renewables or energy storage / flexibility sectors;
- Professional spoken and written levels in French and English – Italian language skills is a strong plus;
- You possess excellent consultancy skills, such as efficient communication, client orientation, multitasking and broad commercial awareness;
- You are equally comfortable being either a team leader or a team member, as the project or initiative dictates.
Nice-to-haves, any of the following
- In depth technical knowledge of energy storage systems or renewable technologies;
- Experience in owners engineering, construction monitoring or asset management
- Experience in contract and supply chain negotiations, project financing, M&A
- Knowledge or experience of energy markets, aggregation etc.
How to apply
Everoze embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. For this reason we are only accepting applications for this position made through the BeApplied platform which is designed to avoid any unconscious bias. You will be asked to answer 3-5 short questions designed to give you the opportunity to demonstrate the core skills we are looking for. These will be reviewed anonymously, before reviewing your CV, your details or even your name, and the highest scoring applicants will be invited for interview.
To make an application please follow this link: https://app.beapplied.com/apply/hb2nywbeb6